From the author, Kathy Brown, “My goal was to bring together all the simplified basics of the amazing Brain Gym® program from diverse sources, “de-mystifying” Brain Gym® and making it understandable to the newcomer, while creating a resource useful to the seasoned Edu-K consultant as well. Pages: 241
The book is in three main sections:
- The first chapters go step-by-step through the PACE process, describing the benefits of the four Brain Gym® movements that are its components, and how they combine as the perfect boost for learning faster, working smarter, and moving more easily through life.
- The middle section explores diverse elements of theory and practice:
- Why movement is necessary for learning
- Understanding the impact of retained infant reflexes, and how movement and Edu-K balancing may resolve these developmental issues
- Specifics of Edu-K theory: whole-brain processing, The Three Dimensions, the concept of noticing and how to cultivate this ability in learners of all ages, the power of repatterning to achieve integrated low-gear (the only state in which we can learn something new), and understanding Brain Gym® as a behavioral model.
- How movement supports us in developing the natural ability to focus
- Understanding the reading process: why learners may struggle to read without whole-brain integration; exploring “eye-lead” and the challenge of “left-eye lead;” why listening is a vital element of the reading process
- A narrative description of Edu-K balancing, illustrated by diverse client stories to explore the many possibilities of this dynamic process
- A sampler of Brain Gym® movements, and a simplified explanation of their categories: Midline Movements, Energy Exercises, Lengthening Activities, and Deepening Attitudes.
- And the chapters in the third section illustrate how Brain Gym® can be used in a wide variety of situations throughout life: in the workplace; for coordinated physical activity; in the classroom; as a personal growth tool; for relief from stress, distress, and trauma; and to support harmony and effectiveness in situations at home.